July Council: proposed topics and working groups

Full Council

Proposed topics to be covered as a full council:

Principles & Practices

"Stuck ether" EIPs

• Discussion about the options on the table

Ethereum Roadmap

• How and when we get initiatives like Casper, ewasm, and scaling/sharding into Ethereum and how these all fit together
  • Who is responsible for the roadmap, what is the process, where is it recorded and communicated? Etc.
  • is there a single roadmap, or multiple roadmaps?
  • do we need more experimentation? More main chain forks, testnets, sidechains, constellations, etc? Is our collective vision still “one chain to rule them all?”

Economic policy / Paying for the public good

• How is economic policy (e.g. the ether issuance rate / inflation) to be conducted? Is there anything technical that we can do about the current wealth gap situation?
  • How to incentivize more people to use Ethereum and how to pay for all of the ongoing infrastructure work that needs to be done?

UX Conclusions

• @JosefJ is hosting a UX Meetup in Prague. He will put together a summary and outcomes and present it live. We’ll capture it on video as well.

Working Groups

Proposed topics to be covered in working groups

• Virtual Machines: EVM / WASM / K-EVM / IELE
  • EIPs relating to new opcodes / changes to opcodes
  • UX: account management / signatures / wallets
  • Upgrading clients / making forks less dire
  • Compensating nodes / paying rent on contract storage
  • Status codes and improving the developer experience
  • Security and contract auditing (or is this covered by EthBerlin?)
  • Social scalability

Who would like to be the champions for these subjects? Are there other topical groupings of EIPs that have a lot of support?

2 Likes

As this thread doesn’t appear to be an editable wiki, I’d like to add two proposed working group topics:

1. the Ethereum roadmap - how and when we get things like Casper, ewasm, and sharding into Ethereum and how these all fit together. Who is responsible for the roadmap, where is it recorded and communicated? Etc.
  2. Inflation/Economic policy/Paying for the public good. Is there anything technical that we can do about the current wealth gap situation? How do we best incentivize more and more people to use Ethereum and how do we pay for all of the ongoing infrastructure work that needs to be done?
2 Likes

Shall we be connecting potential sponsors to this thread to invite representation at the meeting, participation in conversation threads, and funding (either for a specified opportunity as listed in the sponsor engagement doc , or perhaps make space for suggesting working group topics on the Agenda?

That’s generally a good idea. As we find individuals and sponsors interested in a particular topic or EIP, let’s link them in here (but not to go as far as to talk about a potential sponsorship before they have committed).

I would propose the third track:

1. UX - what should we (technically) improve in order to make User Experience better?
    Where are usage barriers? What projects and ERCs are targeting that problems?

I have positive feedback from Santiment project on sponsoring the UX track, but I need to prepare some kind of sponsorship proposal for them.

3 Likes

please add subtopic for wallets UX. There are bold topics and show stopper.

should be:
UX: account management / signatures / wallets

2 Likes

Thanks @lrettig – can you let me know if this is now wiki editable for you? I edited in your points directly, so consider yourself on the hook for those two items :slight_smile: – maybe we should be actually tagging facilitators for topics?

I think @gcolvin and @jpitts will help kick off principles and practices. That Stuck Ether is a hot topic, I’d love to have a facilitator name on there.

1 Like

I would like to propose a topic or working group along the lines of:

-Community-wide social standard-setting protocols and organization, such as proper method for ERC proposals, circulation, discussion, and adoption (maybe as a separate method from protocol change EIPs). Standards may include DAICOs, dual-token/stablecoin models, L2 or dApp-level governance formats, or anything else that would fall into this bucket.

“Send us 50 EOS and we’ll mint you 5 ETH”

But seriously, opportunities like being a miner or validator (where you do work for the system in response for newly minted ETH, creating inflation) is probably the best way to do this “fairly”. If the work is onerous enough where there is decreasing or stagnant returns with scale, then those on the fringes will do the work and enter the ecosystem.

As much as PoW is centralized now, in the early days it is definitely credited with decentralizing the wealth of Bitcoin as it got started. We have to replicate that novelty somehow as wealth distribution mechanism.

I also think with adoption will come decentralization of holdings