The current state of the EIP is as follows:
- The EIP has been implemented in Geth, Nethermind, Besu, EthereumJS, Erigon.
- Further progress (core developer reviews, merging) is blocked on signaling the EIP for inclusion
- Comprehensive EVM tests have been implemented in ethereum/tests. The tests are passing on Geth, Nethermind, Besu, and EthereumJS.
- A draft PR for assembly opcodes in Solidity has been implemented and tested with Uniswap prototypes
- Application developers from Uniswap, OpenSea, Optimism, Arbitrum, Paradigm, Celo, OpenZeppelin, Nomad, and others have all expressed support for the EIP. @holiman’s perspective here.
- Transient storage simplifies future EVM improvement proposals, in particular regarding storage refunds for verkle tries, and EVM parallelization
- Shanghai Planning · Issue #450 · ethereum/pm · GitHub
- Proposal to include EIP-1153 in Shanghai · Issue #438 · ethereum/pm · GitHub
- EthMagicians discussion
Here is a talk I gave at EthCC regarding the primary use case for which I think it will be most beneficial to dapp developers: the “till” pattern. This pattern can reduce token transfers and external calls in future protocols, but requires transient storage to be gas-competitive with existing patterns due to expensive storage access costs and capped gas refunds. There are many other use cases including (of course) reentrancy locks and rollup L2->L1 transactions. Using transient storage just for reentrancy locks in Uniswap V2 would have freed up estimated
O(10-100billions) of gas in block space.
The primary reasons for inclusion are:
- Enables better smart contract design patterns which are more developer friendly (the “till” pattern)
- Saves a lot of gas in existing “transient” storage use cases
- Simplifies the EVM design (storage refunds are extremely complicated)
- Unblocks parallel transaction execution (along with removing self destruct)
And for inclusion in Shanghai/Cancun:
- Already implemented and well tested
- Developers want this yesterday
- “Transient” usage of
SLOADneeds to be deprecated for a long time before verkle trees can potentially deprecate storage refunds