Governance Voting Concept
- I feel Ethereum desperately needs an agreed decision making process before the next difficult decisions occur.
- Has to be something we can implement now, using existing technology.
- Has to be public and fair (though that is very relative).
- Barriers of entry must be low and fair but not nothing. .
- This paper puts forth the concept for discussion. It is not a complete system with all the rules needed. If there is enthusiasm, it could be quickly matured.
- This concept is a system for |Ethereum as it is now. As the ecosystem matures, this must mature also.
- Everything is up for discussion.
This topic proposes a voting system that can be developed and implemented in a short period of time. The system divides the Ethereum population into rings (miners, developer, core devs, security, users and traders). Each ring creates their own voter list before any votes using their own criteria, distributes tokens and have a DAO that allows votes.
Each ring has a set fraction of the votes adding to 100%. When there is a vote, each ring votes with their list voting list. The result counts for their fraction of the vote.
Anyone can propose a vote. All votes have to be approved by a volunteer subset of the rings. The intent is to remove trivial votes. The distribution of the rings can change depending on the topic of the vote. So a vote on the mining payout would have higher emphasis on the mining ring.
This is a specific example of the Primordial soup article How the Ethereum community could begin making meaningful signaling-based decisions