Initial Thoughts on Token Ring Formation:
@Recmo thanks for placeholding this topic. Thank you everyone for an amazing time at FEM Council of Berlin, notably @jpitts and @boris for organizing, keeping things on track, identifying areas of forward momentum and following up with action and content.
A working group for EIPs focused on standards and best practices related to tokens.
- Establish a process for token standards, specifications, reference implementations and / or working implementations
- Bring together members of the community to develop and reach consensus on this process in a timely fashion
- Support new and existing members of the community with their token standards, helping them through the process
- Provide funding for writers and developers of token standards through a community fund
Early Process Thoughts
I’m seeking feedback here as I’m admittedly new to OSS development with this wide of a community and far reaching impact.
I have a rough concept that there would be a guiding “fellowship” of 9 members who would oversee the process and move tokens standards along their respective milestones, to be established in a formal process.
The fellowship would be responsible for educating the wider public through means of blog posts and other activity, branding themselves as an authority for moving token standards forward.
The fellowship would also identify strong community members who contribute frequently to token standards discussions and potentially “resign” and switch their membership. This could also be gracefully forced by other fellowship members, due to a lack of bandwidth and / or contributions from the member in question and seeing a more active participant in the community.
The fellowship would manage funds contributed by projects in the space and these would be allocated toward bounties and documentation for specific standards.
HOWEVER, all of these decisions would also be FIRST put to a public poll using some off the shelf polling software, e.g. Google Forms and time boxed for efficiency, e.g. 24 hours to vote. Basically, show up, vote on the action item and the fellowship will likely follow the wisdom of the crowd unless something is suspicious, harmful to the community or dangerous.
Potential Standards to Workshop Process
- ERC-998 Composable Non-Fungible Tokens
- ERC-1155 Crypto Items Standard
- …? (suggestions welcome)