What are the most important topic to get the community feedback?

After we’ve developed the https://tennagraph.com/ it was quite easy to go with EIP-1057 (ProgPow) for signal collection. But after that, we felt a bit stuck. We added EIP-2025, but it seemed it was hugely criticized, not sure if we (as the community) want to collect more signals on it.

Overall, one of the biggest issues right now is in the engagement of people to learn, care and signal. We can dig stances in twitter and reddit, or approach people directly in dm’s or surveys at the Devcon. Even use some resource like ethereum website or week in ethereum newsletter. We’re keen to experiment with it.

But as I’m not full head in the Ethereum politics, it’s not easy to understand what needs signalling. There’s not a lot of EIPs that need public discussion as it seems. We’re trying out things like "The Ethereum Ecosystem be funded through ecosystem would benefit from funding via some form of taxation" for wider political debate, but i’d like you to advise/recommend topics we want to learn more about. Please HEPL :slight_smile:

@jpitts maybe you can advise something

It is hard to know exactly what kinds of feedback mechanisms would help core devs make decisions. One helpful thing to do would be to listen to the core devs calls, on Twitter, and elsewhere and determine when they discuss community sentiment, what their attitudes are about that.

Something I’ve believed for a long time is that general sentiment is a false signal. I believe that understanding the impact on stakeholder groups is essential to how decisions are made by groups such as core devs. And one thing to know is that the core devs themselves are an important stakeholder group.

Stakeholder groups in Eth1 protocol decisions:

• protocol developers
  • miners
  • node operators for: exchanges, data services, etc.
  • dapp developers for: games, DeFi, DAOs, etc
  • early adopter users
  • traders
  • holders / investors

A person forms their beliefs about an issue or EIP and make decisions according to how they think the outcome would affect one or more of these groups. Signaling may have higher fidelity and impact if it follows the lines of stakeholder groups.

The challenge is to get the key people in the various groups to actually see the signaling mechanism as legitimate, and to use it.

2 Likes