Following up on the previous ETHProduct community call (#1 ETHProduct Community Call (Video + Notes)), I began to interview various PMs and teams within the web3 community in an attempt to gain a better grasp on the nuances of web3 open source product management vs. web 2.0 PMship.
I tried to learn about the following…
- Understand how they are structured and coordinated as a team
- Understand how have they improved coordination, what works / doesn’t work
- How do the teams make decisions?
- How do teams effectively communicate these decisions
- How much do ideological aversions influence the method of coordination
- What are teams currently trying to improve?
- How does your team attempt to diagnose and improve coordination and efficiency?
Initially so far, I have had fairly candid chats, recorded them in the process then made notes of the recordings afterwards. So far I have had a chat with…
- Jarrad (Status.im)
- Afri (Parity)
- Thibaut (Parity)
- Madeof_Tin (Tennagraph)
- Tim Beiko (PegaSys)
- Griff Green (Giveth)
- Tobias Schubotz (Gnosis)
Here are notes transcribed and taken from the calls/chats I have so far…
Exploring Status’s struggles of growing with co-founder Jarrad Hope https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwShI1LLjngQDRyOx-w4Yd6l1fQMV6OEmwMXjnvEBW0/edit?usp=sharing
Learning about Parity’s programmer anarchy with release manager: Afri Schoedon https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s2SBLiJn-rxVzqbMG5ESDEe8VlIychHIn6eB8EV2o7s/edit?usp=sharing
Learning about Parity’s role of Product owner in Parity with Thibaut
Differences of working in deeper r&d tech startup vs. Ethereum client r&d with Tim Beiko
Challenges of grassroots open source projects with Madeof_Tin from TennaGraph
Flat holacracy organisation models with Griff Green from Giveth
Business models and product management of Gnosis Safe with Tobias Schubotz from Gnosis
I am still yet to have a chat with the following folks, expect notes soon as well ~
Looking to have ongoing conversations about it with others! Reach out