Forming a Ring: Constrained Resource Clients

Hi friends,

We’re forming a ring to coordinate between efforts to utilize client nodes in constrained resource environments, such as mobile apps and browsers.

Charter

ethereum-magicians/scrolls/wiki/Constrained-Resource-Client-Ring

How to join

1. Add yourself to the “Founding Participant” section in the charter wiki.
  2. Subscribe to notifications for the Constrained Resource Clients category (the little circle on the top-right).

I’ll be posting updates and meeting notes to the category. If you’re on the founding participant list, I’ll put in make extra effort to make sure you don’t miss out on relevant discussions.

Background

I’ve been working on Vipnode (an economic incentive for running Ethereum full nodes that serve light clients). While exploring integration opportunities, I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with various teams who are trying to on-board Ethereum users to mobile and in-browser clients beyond simply using Infura’s centralized APIs.

I noticed that many teams have their own separate efforts that are largely incompatible with each other, and many of them don’t know about each other at all.

Some examples: Geth LES/ULC, Parity PIP, Slock.it Incubed, MetaMask Mustekala

This ring strives to raise awareness of these separate efforts, and hopes to reach some standards of compatibility across them.

Any other relevant projects we’re missing here? Any suggestions?

8 Likes

Hi! Thanks for getting this started! The mustekala team, super excited about this collaboration effort!

2 Likes

@dryajov Added you as a founding participant, feel free to edit the charter wiki further.

1 Like

Happy to join. We are working most of the time exactly on this problem.

1 Like

How do I join this ring?

1 Like

How to join the ring:

1. Add yourself to the “Founding Participant” section in the charter wiki.
  2. Subscribe to notifications for the Constrained Resource Clients category (the little circle on the top-right).

(cc @CJentzsch @zsfelfoldi, thanks for joining! – adding this to the original post too)

1 Like

@noot and I would love to join the conversation. Thanks for doing this!

2 Likes

Would love to join, we’re working with IoT devices connecting them to the blockchain.

@dominic Welcome! Want to post an update about your project in the latest updates thread? Constrained Resource Clients: Mar 2019 Update

Hi everyone!

I’ve added both julianlen and my name (@smcsicardi) to the Founding Participants list. We are Researchers from RSK currently starting our work on the light client version of the RSK node.

We are still on research phase and we are looking into both LES and PIP to see which protocol bets suits our needs.

1 Like

Great. Welcome @smcsicardi! If you or julianlen happen to be in Berlin the weekend August 24th/25th around ETHBerlin we could organize a f2f ring meeting there.