I support the general direction of EIP-8363, and after following the discussion over the past month, I have become increasingly convinced that Ethereum should eventually move toward a tapered issuance model.
However, I think there is one additional factor worth considering when discussing the current 50% saturation point.
As I understand it, one of the arguments for using 50% is related to social-fork resilience. Once more than half of all ETH is staked, the non-staking side of the ecosystem becomes a minority in terms of ETH supply. In an extreme scenario where the validator set becomes captured or behaves against the broader interests of Ethereum, this could weaken the independent economic base available to coordinate around a social fork.
Conceptually, 50% is therefore a very clean threshold.
But I am not sure that the on-chain staking ratio alone fully captures the real economic balance between stakers and non-stakers.
In practice, most stakers probably do not stake 100% of the ETH they control.
Solo stakers may keep some ETH liquid for taxes, validator expenses, hardware costs, transaction fees, or emergencies. Professional staking operators may hold liquid ETH for operational purposes. Institutional holders may maintain liquidity buffers, and users of staking products may also hold unstaked ETH alongside their staked positions.
This means that the economic actors participating in staking may collectively control more ETH than the amount visible in the validator set.
For example, suppose staking-aligned actors on average stake 90% of the ETH they control and keep the remaining 10% liquid.
If 45% of the total ETH supply is actively staked, then the total amount of ETH controlled by those staking-aligned actors would be approximately:
45% / 0.90 = 50%
In other words, at a 45% on-chain staking ratio, the economic actors behind staking could already control around half of the total ETH supply.
If the average staking ratio of those actors were lower, the difference could be even larger.
This suggests that a 50% on-chain staking threshold may not necessarily correspond to a 50/50 economic balance between staking-aligned and non-staking-aligned holders.
For social-fork resilience, the more relevant variable may be the total ETH controlled by staking-aligned economic actors, rather than only the ETH that is currently deposited in validators.
Because of this, I think it may be worth considering a safety margin below 50%.
A saturation point around 45%, for example, could provide such a margin if staking participants typically retain around 10% of their ETH outside staking.
I am not arguing that 45% is necessarily the correct number, and I do not think this should be decided based on a simple assumption.
The important point is that the saturation threshold could perhaps incorporate the difference between:
-
ETH actively staked in the validator set, and
-
the total ETH economically controlled by the actors who participate in staking.
If this distinction matters for social-fork resilience, then it would be useful to gather empirical data on how much ETH stakers typically keep outside staking.
For example, it may be possible to estimate liquid reserve ratios across solo stakers, professional staking operators, liquid staking protocols, custodians, and institutional staking participants.
That data could help determine whether 50% provides enough safety margin, or whether a lower saturation point such as 45% would better preserve an independent non-staking economic majority.
More broadly, I think EIP-8363 is valuable precisely because it creates room to think about these kinds of second-order effects.
The goal should not simply be to maximize staking participation. The goal should be to achieve sufficient economic security while preserving Ethereum’s neutrality, social-fork resilience, monetary properties, and the ability of non-staking ETH holders to remain economically meaningful participants in the system.
For that reason, I would be interested in whether the authors have considered adjusting the saturation point based on the total ETH exposure of staking-aligned actors rather than the validator balance alone.