EIP-7657: Sync committee slashings

Discussion thread for Add EIP: Sync committee slashings by etan-status · Pull Request #8340 · ethereum/EIPs · GitHub

Related notes:

Also, could be interesting when combined with Max-Effective-Balance increasing proposals, as that would increase the slashable balance when the sync committee members can have higher balance!

3 Likes

Hi @etan-status! I wrote a thread on Twitter to get more attention to this EIP. I couldn’t find your Twitter account, or I’d have tagged you in the post. Feel free to share with anyone who needs a high-level overview/rationale!

3 Likes

Thank you @eawosika for raising the attention here. From a Altair protocol consumer perspective Sygma is super interested in this effort and we will start supporting this more actively. I have reached out to the Lodestar team as well as our respective R&D teams, so we can start contribute here. Expected some more detailed feedback soon.

1 Like

Very excited for this!!

2 Likes

I’m indeed absent from most social media, including Twitter. The day only has so many hours :wink:

Thanks for the thorough analysis, I think one aspect that’s missing is that the light client may be combined with a trusted multisig. For example, have bridge operators stake additional assets and require them to only submit light client data to the contract which they validated against a full node. It would be great to include that approach in the analysis, so that it becomes easier to see how much value we get with the EIP, and how urgently it is needed to be useful (does it have to be Electra, or can it be bundled with F-fork?)

I’d be interested in advancing the slashing proposal as well, as in, formalizing the specifications and so on, but the other light client related EIPs (Execution Layer Meeting 186 · Issue #1016 · ethereum/pm · GitHub) are farther developed as of now, so prioritization is challenging. I’d also be willing to step in as reviewer/mentor, if someone else wishes to advance the sync committee slashing EIP.

1 Like