EIP-7535: ETH (Native Asset) Tokenized Vault

eip: 7535
title: ETH (Native Asset) Tokenized Vault
description: ERC-4626 Tokenized Vaults with ETH as the underlying asset
author: Joey Santoro (@joeysantoro)
discussions-to: Add EIP: ETH (Native Asset) Tokenized Vault by Joeysantoro · Pull Request #7846 · ethereum/EIPs · GitHub
type: Standards Track
category: ERC
created: 2023-10-12
requires: 4626, 7528

Abstract

The following standard allows for the implementation of a standard API for Tokenized Vaults that use ETH as the underlying asset.

This standard is an extension of the ERC-4626 spec with an identical interface and behavioral overrides for handling ETH as the underlying.

Motivation

A standard for tokenized ETH Vaults has the same benefits as ERC-4626, particularly in the case of Liquid Staking Tokens, (i.e. fungible ERC-20 wrappers around ETH staking).

Maintaining the same exact interface as ERC-4626 further amplifies the benefits as the standard will be maximally compatible with existing ERC-4626 tooling and protocols.

Specification

All EIP-7535 tokenized Vaults MUST implement ERC-4626 with behavioral overrides for the methods asset, deposit, and mint specified below.

Methods

asset

MUST return 0xEeeeeEeeeEeEeeEeEeEeeEEEeeeeEeeeeeeeEEeE per EIP-7528 (TODO add link once merged).

- name: asset
  type: function
  stateMutability: view

inputs: []

outputs:
    - name: assetTokenAddress
      type: address

deposit

Mints shares Vault shares to receiver by depositing exactly msg.value of Ether.

MUST have state mutability of payable.

MUST use msg.value as the primary input parameter for calculating the shares output. MAY ignore assets parameter as an input.

MUST emit the Deposit event.

MUST revert if all of msg.value cannot be deposited (due to deposit limit being reached, slippage, etc).

- name: deposit
  stateMutability: payable

inputs:
    - name: assets
      type: uint256
    - name: receiver

outputs:
    - name: shares

mint

Mints exactly shares Vault shares to receiver by depositing assets of ETH.

MUST have state mutability of payable.

MUST emit the Deposit event.

MUST revert if all of shares cannot be minted (due to deposit limit being reached, slippage, the user not sending a large enough msg.value of Ether to the Vault contract, etc).

- name: mint
  stateMutability: payable

inputs:
    - name: shares
    - name: receiver

outputs:
    - name: assets

Events

The event usage MUST be identical to ERC-4626.

Rationale

This standard was designed to maximize compatibility with ERC-4626 while minimizing additional opinionated details on the interface. Examples of this decision rationale are described below:

• maintaining the redundant assets input to the deposit function while making its usage optional
  • not enforcing a relationship between msg.value and assets in a mint call
  • not enforcing any behaviors or lack thereof for fallback/__default__ methods, payability on additional vault functions, or handling ETH forcibly sent to the contract

Backwards Compatibility

EIP-X is fully backward compatible with ERC-4626 at the function interface level. Certain implementation behaviors are different due to the fact that ETH is not ERC-20 compliant, such as the priority of msg.value over assets.

It has no known compatibility issues with other standards.

Reference Implementation

TODO / WIP

Security Considerations

In addition to all security considerations of ERC-4626, there are security implications of having ETH as the Vault asset.

call vs send

Contracts should take care when using call to transfer ETH, as this allows additional reentrancy vulnerabilities and arbitrary code execution beyond what is possible with trusted ERC-20 tokens.

It is safer to simply send ETH with a small gas stipend.

Implementers should take extra precautions when deciding how to transfer ETH.

Forceful ETH transfers

ETH can be forced into any Vault through the SELFDESTRUCT opcode. Implementers should validate that this does not disrupt Vault accounting in any way.

Similarly, any additional payable methods should be checked to ensure they do not disrupt Vault accounting.

Copyright

Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.

3 Likes

Why are we not enforcing msg.value == assets in mint and deposit? It seems to me that it has zero cost for the caller to make them match. If you want to allow the caller to be lazy and not set assets, you can require that it must be zero. Personally, I would require that they match.

for deposit, its purely for gas reasons to allow the parameter to be ignored. I could change it to should match or even must match but I don’t think this is necessary. Its most important that the interface matches

for mint, I want to allow the possibility that the user sends in some eth but not the exact amount and the difference is returned to the user for example

I’m open to the idea that we should be more opinionated on both of these cases but I think it only adds gas on deposit and more difficulty of integrating on mint

I see, I think that you are right on one count, maybe not so much on the other.

On mint I think that you are right. We don’t have transferFrom for Ether, so users need to send an amount as they call mint. The on-chain way of knowing how much exactly would be to call mintPreview before mint, but some implementations might choose to calculate assets offchain and save the gas cost of mintPreview. If some implementations want to return unused Ether, there is no reason to stop them.

On deposit, my problem here is with MAY, which leads to undefined behaviour.

I think that the right approach is to take assets as the truth as to what the user wants to do, but then implementations need to ensure that msg.value >= assets, which has the same gas cost as ensuring that msg.value == assets.

That seems to leave us with asking that implementations MUST ignore assets, and act solely on msg.value. It is a bit weird, but as long as anyone reads the EIP is safe. Besides, if someone ignores that MUST, they will still be probably fine as most callers will use assets = 0 to save on calldata gas.

I think this is more of a purist approach, however if a user is actually sending ETH via msg.value, it is hard to imagine why assets would ever be a truer value. MAY seems like undefined behavior, but it really does mean MUST NOT rely on assets only.

“MAY ignore assets parameter as an input” could be removed, but I think the spec benefits from having some extra clarification here.

Forcing everyone to require msg.value >= assets could just let people use assets=0 always anyway. I think the benefits of forcing any kind of relationship are negligible and having the explicit behavior of relying on msg.value is cleaner and has fewer footguns.