EIP-4834: Hierarchical Domains Standard

GitHub Issue

Would you mind removing the EIP text from this discussion thread? Itā€™s unnecessary pain for you to have to keep it in sync with the PR.

Would it make sense to split the resolver interface from the management interface? I can imagine some use cases that would use a completely different management system but could still benefit from the resolver interface. For example, 4553.some-nft could always resolve to the owner of Some NFT #4553.

In canPointSubdomain, is the point to prevent yourself being added as a subdomain to a parent you donā€™t want? If so, whatā€™s to stop a malicious parent just skipping this check?

1. The EIP text is removed.
  2. I guess thatā€™s certainly an option. I might do that.
  3. Thatā€™s a good question. I once thought of a use-case, but I canā€™t remember what it is. Youā€™re absolutely right that a malicious parent can circumvent that ā€“ maybe I should replace it with an isValidSubdomain that when returns false reverts the name resolution.

Could maybe have the querier pass in the parent address to getDomain?

If I were to go that route, I would much prefer it to be in hasDomain. However, I donā€™t really see any point in canPointSubdomain anymore ā€“ I might just remove it. I donā€™t see any issues with people pointing other peoplesā€™ domains to their own. After all, would the owner of a token care if I set myfavoritetoken.pandapip1.sometld to their token? Even if it was theworldsworsttoken.pandapip1.sometld, Iā€™m not sure the extra complexity in the spec is worth it.

Iā€™m just going to remove it, and maybe add it as an optional extension.

@Pandapip1 This ERC is going to be greatly useful, kudos!

Two pieces of feedback for its last call

1. Shall we move the ā€œHere is a solidity function that resolves a name:ā€ to the reference implementation instead of spec section?
  2. Shall we change all the ā€œmustā€, ā€œshallā€ to their upper-case counter part (MUST, SHALL) so to follow RFC 8174: Ambiguity of Uppercase vs Lowercase in RFC 2119 Key Words which suggest using uppercase to reduce ambiguity

Definitely #2. I also mostly support #1.

I donā€™t think this EIP has had sufficient discussion around it to become Final (seeing that the Last Call deadline is tomorrow).

Although to be frank I am personally not interested in alternatives to ENS at the moment, here are two concerns that I have with this EIP:

• What is the root domain? How do I find it? Without it, no resolution is possible. Without a globally accepted root, a name has no meaning.
  • There are no frontrunning mitigations for domain creation.

Iā€™ve seen another alternative to ENS being developed, dmap, which notably does not have an EIP. This is fine and in my opinion a better approach: standardizing before the system is further developed ossifies a version that has not been tested enough.

What is the root domain? How do I find it? Without it, no resolution is possible. Without a globally accepted root, a name has no meaning.

This would be user-provided. The nice thing is that anyone can deploy their own domain and have it work as a root domain. I didnā€™t notice this wasnā€™t provided in the EIP, so I will add that.

There are no frontrunning mitigations for domain creation.

Thank you for pointing that out ā€“ I hadnā€™t considered it. Most of the time, this wonā€™t be an issue. Perhaps a commit/reveal scheme could be recommended when it would be useful.

Although to be frank I am personally not interested in alternatives to ENS at the moment

The nice thing about this is that this isnā€™t necessarily an alternative to ENS. It would be perfectly possible to make a ā€œdomainā€ that resolves ENS domains.

Standardizing before the system is further developed ossifies a version that has not been tested enough

I can be convinced to move this back into review. Do you have any normative suggestions?

1 Like

Nothing in particular, my point is rather that I think the interface should be tried ā€œin the fieldā€ quite a bit before settling on a final specification, because that could surface issues in it. I mean things like starting to build the various applications, tooling, and libraries around it. I donā€™t know if that has been done in this case.

After considering your points Iā€™ve moved it back into review.

1 Like

There is no any explanation about resolvers in the EIP. Without resolvers, is the use of the domain only that ā€œpermits a contract that implements this EIP to be addressable with a more human-friendly nameā€? Can I create a subdomain with an EOA address or any contract address that does not implement the interface IDomain.

Iā€™m pretty sure that somewhere it says that the root domain is an implementation detail. This is similar to ENS, whose standard also leaves the root domain as an implementation detail.

I canā€™t get the point. My question is about a leaf domain instead of a root domain.

Does the following snippet from the EIP not answer your question?

function resolve(string[] calldata splitName, IDomain root) public view returns (address) {
    IDomain current = root;
    string[] memory path = [];
    for (uint i = splitName.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
        // Append to back of list
        path.push(splitName[i]);
        // Require that the current domain has a domain
        require(current.hasDomain(path), "Name resolution failed");
        // Resolve subdomain
        current = current.getDomain(path);
    }
    return current;
}