EIP 4353: Viewing Staked Tokens in NFT

I’m staking tokens on NFTs and would like an interface to get the amount of tokens staked by tokenId.

The proof-of-concept / prototype NFT did hold value / amount of tokens that were successfully transferred. Within the smart contract, an amount is mapped to tokenId, so I can get the value from an individual token in a custom manner.

However, I’m wanting the ability to see if other tokens on other contracts are staked for my UI/UX. For my purposes, value is only added at mint, and the token amount does not change-- this could vary on other implementations where proof-of-stake or post-mint deposits occur.

Any thoughts how retrieving token deposit / amount / staked could be accessed from web3? Does this already exist or could it become an EIP?

EIP issue was opened at:

Before going ahead and standardizing something, please launch your own product and then after that build the case for why other people need to do this the exact same way you did it.

1 Like

The product is available on the Apple AppStore under “Iconic Apps”, there are two apps in production beta undergoing finalization. The tokens are bound to NFTs at mint and in my use case the tokens are never able to be disassociated from commodity NFTs. In this way, we can ensure NFTs will remain with their assigned token amounts.

The primary impetus for my request is the need to display token values on an explorer and elsewhere including wallets and marketplaces. Although my app is not in its intended final state (it will be undergoing improvements to its tokenomics in the coming weeks), I encourage others to try and view staked token balances on NFTs to encounter the issue I am facing.

Hi. I think any kind of NFT staking is interesting and have implemented different variations in several products I’ve built over the last few years.

I guess my question is why does this need to be a standard and why now? It seems like you can definitely implement this interface and provide documentation for marketplaces and wallets to support but right now it seems very specific to your product. If there seemed to be interest in this standard I think it makes sense. But permanently staked ERC20 tokens tied to NFTs seems very one off, no?

1 Like

Hi I’m new to NFT market and i was scammed once. so I’m being smart about this before I proceed. This is not the Site that Scammed me but i wanted to check if it was a legit marketplace. how do I check if a market place is legit. www.metartes.com its a NFT marketplace. Thank You

@fulldecent the app is now available on iOS, Iconic Apps: IconicQuotes, IconicJokes, soon to be released IconicMedia

The inspiration here was for content creators, enabling them to create transactables from their works with their audience, in a manner they can receive royalties

The issue became that of assurance, staking was used to allow the creator to receive the staked funds in case their token (i.e., expected future royalties) were to be burned

Currently, explorers do not display staked token amounts-- this becomes difficult if the contract is not available for view and if the transfer of staked tokens is arbitrary

The ideal condition is to enforce staking until it is burned, this logically eliminates the variability from transfers, and becomes a more standardized format for auditing and building community trust, such as displaying token amounts on the blockchain explorer

What would be great is if we can form a consensus around the idea of staking an NFT and the utility it would provide the community: specifically allowing someone to claim they own a staked token and knowing, with certainty, the amount that is staked.

Therefore, what I’m proposing is to enforce a no-transfer rule for tokens intended to be utilized in this manner: of publicly displaying staked amount, and to limit any transfer activity to the burn event/method. Furthermore, that the associated contract is validated and transparent against this feature, thus, allowing an explorer to safely determine whether a staked amount exists

An alternate strategy would need to trace blocks, for example a blockchain that serves to keep track of tokens who claim a staked status, and tracking all their transfer events to keep an up-to-date log of the actual amount staked-- the bottom line is that it’s in everyone’s best interest for the amount claimed to be staked is the actual amount that is staked, since these may have real consequences as mentioned above

I personally think the tracking/tracing is a little too much for a first step, and it’s beyond my personal use case. Therefore, my proposition is to limit transfers to burn, expose a method that returns the staked value, and have the contract code available for auditing, transparency, and assurance-- all so that an explorer may display the staked amount of a token

@pizzarob the staking wouldn’t be ERC20, it would be native token at the time of mint – this raises the point of adding additional value, which could be safely implemented. My app is made for blockchain novices and does not have the feature to add more native tokens to an already minted NFT