EIP-3155: Create EVM Trace Specification

Discussion for EIP-3155 which can be found here: https://github.com/ethereum/EIPs/pull/3155

It tries to formalize the de-facto standard for tracing during state tests and move it to a more visible place s.th. it will be picked up by more implementations

1 Like

I added some in-line comments in the EIP. Generally summarized as

• The CUT should not be part of the EIP, the standard is useful outside of just fuzz testing (the rpc debug_standardTraceBadBlocks for example)
  • field types need to be specified (what’s a hex string and what’s a json number, and unit for time, for example)
  • de-facto standard -> common format. I think Parity’s trace is more of a de-facto standard as we have many users asking for it. Mostly because of the internal transaction and state handling.
1 Like

Thank you very much for the comments! They are very helpful, I will insert them tomorrow.
Sorry about the misnomer of the common format, didn’t want to step on anyones toes with that.

Some nitpicks:

• Hex-String data type perhaps could be better described as “hex-encoded byte array”.

• It’s not clear what exactly returnStack is, please provide an example where it’s not empty.

• Please provide an example where error is not empty.

• Clients SHOULD output the fields in the same order as listed in this EIP.

According to the JSON spec “an object is an unordered set of name/value pairs”, so strictly speaking this requires something not supported by JSON.

• The CUT MUST NOT output a line for the STOP operation if an error occurred: Example:

The example following this does in fact output STOP operation, so it’s contradictory, or an example for something else.

{"stateRoot":"0xd4c577737f5d20207d338c360c42d3af78de54812720e3339f7b27293ef195b7","output":"","gasUsed":"0x3","successful":"true","time":141485}

This example of a summary contains successful field not mentioned in the spec.