EIP-2633: Formal Proposal for Upgradable Governance

A request for comments. PR found here. https://github.com/ethereum/EIPs/pull/2633

Read the EIP here.

I don’t see how this proposal would make the decision-making process more explicit. I see it as a 0th step in a sequence of governance EIPs. Maybe it would help to give some examples and links to the motions / schedules you are referring to. I think you could make it a bit more specific listing a few options for initiating a governance upgrade. That list doesn’t have to be exhaustive and it can be added to as per the process.

I don’t see how this proposal would make the decision-making process more explicit. I see it as a 0th step in a sequence of governance EIPs.

Correct. That was intentional. It’s meant to start governance EIPs, and ensure that one particular proposal isn’t followed indefinitely if it has flaws just because it becomes “the way we do things.”

Maybe it would help to give some examples and links to the motions / schedules you are referring to. I think you could make it a bit more specific listing a few options for initiating a governance upgrade.

I was inclined against this to not create bias in future EIPs, or imply that those should be how it’s done since this is a specification which eventually becomes frozen. But I can reconsider it.