This is a pre-announcement and request for collaboration. I’m planning to write an EEP to define the Ethereum Network Upgrade Process. EEP-5 here primarily covers Ethereum 1.0 upgrades.
--- EEP: 5 Title: Ethereum Hardfork Process Authors: Afri Schoedon <firstname.lastname@example.org> Status: Draft Version: 2018-12-31 Discuss: ---
- whereas EEP-1 defines distinct consensus updates, this is suggesting a framework for upgrading the Ethereum network
- this suggests moving from ad-hoc hardforking to fixed-schedule
- this defines a process with all required stages of hardforking:
- gathering EIPs, deadline to accept them
- proof-of-concept phase, deadline to implement them
- testing phase, fuzzing the new code, deadline to update test suites
- testnet rollout (ropsten, görli, or ad-hoc testnets)
- mainnet rollout
- each stage should come with a best possible defined timeline and a set of conditions required to accept or postpone proposals
- WIP: open for comments, Github: https://github.com/karalabe/eee/issues/5
The ultimate goal is to have a well defined process which all client developer teams can stick to and use as orientation for the short- and mid-term Ethereum roadmap in terms of development milestones.