Representing the big system integrator and delivering a number of Blockchain projects to enterprise clients I regularly have a need to discuss and/or validate the solution architecture of my projects with someone experienced, someone who has different or broader view on the underlying (Ethereum) technology, its components or its future. I often need to check technology assumptions, discuss software architecture patterns and integration possibilities with someone who is proven to be an expert (and better with the group of experts). Also the presence of quality materials explaining the typical architecture choices, common patterns and guiding through a number of architecture decisions should simplify and speed up the solution delivery, increase its quality and standardization.
I see the mission of the Ring of Ethereum Architects (REA) in guiding the underlying architectures for Ethereum based solutions. At the moment I can see three aspects to this mission:
- to document and build consensus around principles of Ethereum reference architecture and to interpret and clarify these principles when necessary;
- to guide through solution design challenges involving general Ethereum architecture brought to the REA and provide a library of relevant design patterns;
- to help coordinate cross-technology architecture developments inside and outside Ethereum.
- To keep a list of the recognized Ethereum architects
No set of documents will ever answer all the hard questions, so interpretation and subsequent refinement of the Ethereum reference architecture will certainly be necessary. The REA will not just document what is widely accepted; it will also anticipate growth and fundamental interoperability problems. Elaborating the intended direction of the Ethereum reference architecture will help resolve issues when setting future directions, help establish criteria for starting new work, and help community coordinate its work with that of other organizations.
As a start of ring work I propose the initial REA meeting plan as follows:
- The REA will hold a regularly scheduled distributed meeting (at least every month).
- The REA will organize occasional face-to-face meetings (I can provide the office space in the Netherlands or Germany).
- The REA may organize workshops to explore particular architectural issues.
Looking forward to the opinions, critics, support and also to see faces of people with similar needs in Prague.