I am Lixin from Keystone hardware wallet. As a user, we are not satisfied with the current signing solution for DeFi (Ledger + MetaMask). We came up with a new solution for it.
We forked MetaMask and created a PoC for QR code signing between our hardware wallet Keystone and the browser extension.
- USB connectivity could break from time to time. QR code causes much less compatibility issues. Much better experience not only for users but also for developers.
- With QR code, users can easily turn their old mobile phone into a offline signing device turning on airplane mode with app like Airgap. (Note: another great QR based hww is Ngrave and they share the same opinion with us.)
- With big screen & ABI encoding, complex DeFi transactions can be fully verified on the cold signer (hardware wallet) otherwise the user is blindly trusting the software wallet which can be compromised much more easily compared to the cold signer (hardware wallet). GridPlus is fixing this vulnerability too and they are awesome.
Personally I really agree with Andrew Hong’s view about wallets.
- Cold signer (hardware wallet) should be specialized on “Security Layer” in the ecosystem.
- Cold signer (hardware wallet) should be as compatible as possible with other software wallets.
- ABI encoding is an essential part for cold signer (hardware wallet).
- We are talking with MetaMask, xDeFi and GasNow for integration.
- We will raise an EIP for the standard of QR code protocol between cold signer (hardware wallet) and software wallet. More details will be posted within this week or next.
- Adding more ABIs to our product (firmware update is needed).
Please throw me any questions/concerns you have. All ears here