Window.ethereum.disable() for logging out of provider

Currently web3 providers offer an .enable() method for allowing the dapp to connect but there doesn’t exist a method to disconnect. Standardizing around a .disable() method on the provider would allow dapps to display a logout button if this disable method is available. This would be beneficial for providers that offer standard login experiences like Portis, Squarelink, Authereum, etc. and as a dapp developer you don’t have to think about how to handle logging out for each provider. I believe web3connect does something similar with a .close() method on the provider.

What are your thoughts on standardizing around an optional .disable() method on the provider for disconnecting and logging users out of the provider on the dapp?

3 Likes

Hi @miguelmota
I agree this would be useful. I actually proposed the same thing to be added to 1102 : EIP-1102: Opt-in provider access

1 Like

Following up here… Obviously disable() hasn’t yet made it to the library, but are there any proven methods to disconnect?

If not… how does one disconnect for testing purposes? I don’t see anything in the local browser indicating ethereum is “active”.

We kindly await this feature