Wiki: Proposed agenda for the "Council of Berlin", set for July 14-15 (updated)

For updates and a summary of all information, see the website http://ethereum-magicians.github.io/berlin-council/

Please support this community effort! The suggested donation is 0.1 ETH for attendees, larger projects / company sponsorships are welcome: https://donations.ethereum-magicians.org/

Please sign up to let us know you’re coming, and/or publicly list yourself below in the Attendees section: Berlin Council Sign Up

July 14 Saturday - All Magicians

Group discussions as a “Full Council”, focusing on our goals as an organization and our process.

Please see the proposed topics.

Lunch

EIP Process Overview - EIP editors to present

Discussion about the “Stuck Ether” EIPs

Evening

Lightning Talks

General community topics

• On the problem of wealth distribution, Lane Rettig

• A practical approach to develop distributed governance models, Tim Bansemer

• Gas Based Voting Tool - Christoph Jentzsch

• Lowering Gas Prices with Child pays the Parent - Griff Green - Child pays the Parent in Ethereum - Help Build this EIP!

• DAppNode: Decentralizing Node Infrastructure - Griff Green - https://dappnode.io/

• How to build a DApp for 10 million end-users - Ben Bollen

• Technical Challenges with Receiving Community Signals and Measuring Sentiment - Phil Lucsok

• Supporting Development on Ethereum and the Web3 Tech Stack - Jack Platts

• Token Standards and NFT Updates - Matt Lockyer

• Add yourself here: Lightning Talk, Name, Optional Link

Introducing working group topics / announcing working groups

• Creating Communities around Causes (in general) - Griff (Will talk about Robbie’s Group)

• ETH Anti-Phishing Workgroup (Skype) - Griff (MyCrypto’s Group)

• ScalingNOW! (Riot) - Griff (in transition)

• Open Source Block Explorers NOW! (Telegram) - Griff

• Secure Smart Contract Development (Telegram) - Griff (Robbie’s Group)

• Open Source Web3 Design NOW! (Telegram) - Griff (Mitch’s group)

• Social scalability for Ethereum (new idea) - Lane

• Add yourself here: Group Talk, Name, Optional Link

July 15 Sunday - Working Group Sessions

Covering the proposed topics for working groups.

Please add topics that you would like to work on!

Here are the latest proposed topics for the working groups:

• Virtual Machines: EVM / WASM / K-EVM / IELE
  • EIPs relating to new opcodes / changes to opcodes
  • UX: account management / signatures / wallets
  • Upgrading clients / making forks less dire
  • Compensating nodes / paying rent on contract storage
  • Status codes and improving the developer experience
  • Security and contract auditing (or is this covered by EthBerlin?)
  • Social scalability

Evenings

Dinners are not covered, but we will organize some group activities that people can participate in.

• July 13th Friday: German beer garden
  • July 15th Sunday: Wrap up dinner, potential group order to the backyard of c-base

July 16-18 - “Side-chains encouraged”

Working Groups / Birds of a Feather / Shoulder gatherings

Want to gather together in cafes or co-working after the main event? Feel free to self-organize gatherings. Please link here to any wiki pages or websites for these.

July 19-20 - Gnosis DappCon

As this event follows the Council of Berlin, we encourage all Magicians to go, and perhaps some can present our work!

Attending the Council of Berlin

Are you planning to attend? Please add your name or handle, and a one liner on what you most want to discuss. Please also sign up to let us know we should order you breakfast and lunch

• Greg Colvin
  • Jamie Pitts
  • Boris Mann
  • Dean Eigenmann
  • Josef Jelacic
  • Nick Johnson
  • Lane Rettig
  • Andy Tudhope
  • Dmitry Palchun (AKA Ethernian, from 15.07)
  • María Paula Fernández (Golem)
  • Igor Adamski (Golem)
  • Gert-Jan Rebel (Golem)
  • Pedro Gomes (WalletConnect)
  • Rachel-Rose O’Leary (CoinDesk)
  • Evgeny Ponomarev (Fluence)
  • Cyrus Taghehchian (Splyt Core Foundation)
  • Tomislav Mamić (Dgov 2018, https://dgov.earth)
  • Matt Lockyer (NFTy Magicians, etc…)
  • Tim Bansemer (inblock.io, #dgov18)
  • Thomas Jay Rush (QuickBlocks)
  • Peter Mauric (Parity)
  • Christoph Jentzsch (Slock.it)
  • Griff Green (Giveth)
  • Afri Schoedon (Parity)
  • Jutta Steiner (Parity)
  • Scott Moore (Gitcoin)
  • Mark Beacom (Gitcoin)
  • Phil Lucsok (Parity)
  • Jack Platts (W3F)
  • Remco Bloemen (0x)
  • Johann Barbie (parseclabs.org)
  • add yourself
3 Likes

This is a great start. Let’s have an attendees section at the bottom where people can say “I’m coming” – I think long single page makes the most sense.

Love the “side-chains encouraged” wording!

Hey there. For now, I plan to attend.

Could we discuss communications and how we can engage the larger community? We’re covering heavy topics, or plan to, and I want to avoid the criticism of “Who are you people and why are you making decisions for the community” criticism.

My current project is not public but should be in time for this event. We are working on problems in the non-profit/charity sector. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Alex

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. I was thinking about this today and discussed with @boris about how we can reach out more effectively.

I hope to have a representative, diverse, and highly qualified group come together in Berlin in order to move the work forward.

We’ll post information about the event more widely next week, aiming to raise awareness, to attract and get a good count of how many wish to attend, and to get more feedback about the agenda.

1 Like

Hello team. Has anybody found sponsors for this event? I am seeking to see who benefits from these meetings and if they may sponsor me attend and cover my travel expenses. Thank you.

1 Like

This is an all volunteer event with support from Web3 Foundation on the ground in Berlin.

Some of the people who filled out the Expression of Interest form indicated that there is interest in sponsoring, but it’s unclear that the Magicians can handle funding directly since there is no formal entity.

We’ll discuss it this week.

Hope it’s ok to post it here, but if there is someone non-Europe based hesitant to come over. You can combine the trip and visit Prague two weeks before the Council for UX & adoption unconf:

It’s 1h flight or 4h direct train ride Prague → Berlin
I can help with working space to make sure you stay productive :wink:

Planning to attend, Just taking notes for my team at Golem :slight_smile:

Hey, I am planning to attend the event too. I work on dispute resolution research at ENS, so there may be some interesting overlaps.

Great. I added you to the attendees list above

1 Like

Awesome, added you to attendees

@boris Would like to attend as well :slight_smile: Considering the DEVCON4 will be in Prague, I’d like to discuss which side-events should we organize and how can I help with that.

I was trying to kickstart people editing the wiki :slight_smile: Please do add your name above. And, while you’re editing – if there is an EIP you want to do a lightning talk around, add that too!

And yes – talking about what do alongside Devcon in Prague also has to get started! We should have a call about that with @jpitts. I’ll PM you an email and we can go from there – I am in Berlin as of tomorrow night.

HI @boris, @jpitts … I’m available to help coordinate communicate and otherwise gather and aggregate… curious about the call I hear being scheduled through a few channels but nothing firm I’ve seen yet?

Great to have you help out @Danibelle, @boris and I will DM you here with info about getting involved.

1 Like

If I’m still in Europe by then, I’ll definitely attend!

Hey - Martin from Gnosis here.
In case you are still looking for a space to host the event we can invite you to http://fullnode.berlin/
Let me know if that is of interest.

Also - we are organizing http://dappcon.io/ - governance will of course be a topic. E.g. Jarrad from Status will further talk about the results of the recent survey. We are still open for further speakers/ topic suggestions.

2 Likes

Thanks Martin @koeppelmann! We have been making arrangements for the space with c-base but will keep it in mind.

I was really excited when I found out that DappCon was planned for July 19. Our organizing teams should make sure that participants in the Council can continue their work through to Dappcon, perhaps via shoulder events.

Perhaps at DappCon we can as a group report on what we accomplished. I expect lot of the work will center in contract-related standards. I will contact you and the organizers with more specifics as I am working with @boris and @Danibelle to firm up the agenda for our event.

2 Likes

I signed up to do a lightning talk, above. I also added a proposed opening topic, “Discussion about Openness.” This would be a discussion to make sure everyone is on the same page about how much of the contents of the event can and should be shared publicly (via notes, livestream, photos, comment attribution, etc.). It should hopefully be a no-brainer that absolutely anything can be shared at absolutely any time without permission :wink:

4 Likes