State Fees (formerly State rent) pre-EIP proposal version 3

There are always other elements of the infrastructure that make a token valuable. Redeployment can happen according to a schedule, where the infrastructure players (Uniswap, DEXes, Ethex) would “delist” the old one and “list” the new one on that schedule. Someone has to, of course, show up and facilitate it (and then go away again). If no one shows up to facilitate, and no-one pays the rent, then the contract will be evicted. After that, it can be either brought back, or re-deployed, if someone does show up this time.

1 Like

Alexey,

If the old contract can ever be ‘brought back’ after being evicted, that would mean that ANYONE could bring it back at any time. If so, that would mean that a new one could never be deployed because then it would be possible for the old one to be brought back and then there would be two mineable contracts simultaneously. Not only that, but the new contract would not have anyones balances on it and would essentially need to have some sort of mechanism to allow users to ‘convert’ their old tokens to the new tokens. If both of those things are true, then that would mean that people could mine BOTH contracts at the same time,and then continuously convert their tokens from the old contract (newly mined) into the new contract and so then the hard cap of 21m on the new contract would be exceeded by definition, regardless of how you code the new contract, or else the new contract would need to be non-mined, i.e. it wouldnt work at all. The tokens are fungible so you can’t tell if they were mined after a certain time, escalating the issue.

Therefore, no matter what anyone does, this rent change would destroy this 0xb6 contract completely. A new contract CANNOT BE DEPLOYED, it cannot be upgraded unless the old one is completely eradicated, think about it. It cant be eradicated because its immutable and non-owned. Read what I said above. If you do have a good idea, please let me know. This is why massive breaking changes to old contracts (like this state rent idea) are horrible and will affect many many other contracts too. This idea is like a sledgehammer.

What are the plans for 0xbc when Ethereum transitions to proof of stake in eth2.0? Is it going to be redeployed on the POS chain or freeze in the ice age?