Forming a Ring: Product Management Ring (ETHProduct)

I just joined the Geth and Swarm teams at the EF as a PM and I’m experiencing new types of challenges, resistance. So I find this ring really exciting and potentially helpful. I’d like to join the call too.

1 Like

Great discussion in this thread, thanks for kicking things off here.

Recent history - In Feb 2013 the Swedish pirate party shared it’s “swarm” organisation method, there was a ted talk on this too. Some links…

A few points mentioned in the thread that I’d like to further:

• Naming is important
    Starting by clarifying PM is product management (not project management). Both are important, but starting with defining terms like: product, management, and users. Then defining what problem PMs would like to solve

• Decentralised management
    Can come across as an oxymoron, so roles like motivator/coordination-assistant might work better. In this space I feel that managers can serve projects well with “management suggestions” that are backed by data/experience, and then it is up to the developers to opt-in to one

Coming from several angles here (Engineer, educator, and PM) my 2c cents with points of value: leadership through doing, encouraging an open-environment with autonomy, and creating a roadmap that is backed with experience and data.

Lastly, is the Telegram group intentionally hidden, or can a link be shared?

1 Like

Thank for the clarification. The reason why we use product management is because there is much more to it than just project management - it’s important to make that distinction - it’s not just development cycles, it’s not just coordination

And yes, I am intentionally not sharing the link out into the public because public join links kill telegram groups (seen too many groups go down this path + admin a few other telegram groups). Rather have it stay high quality and grow organically.

Caught up on some reading and there were some great points in a few places.

Meta-Magicians thread

• " while actions can be carried out in an ad-hoc swarm-like manner, funding allocations don’t quite lend themselves to the same ad-hoc treatment (the latter is zero-sum, while the former is not)."

But primarily from the original SODC thread, Self Organised Development Cycles.
and thought this was well summarised:

Would love to hear from long-established open-source projects and how they guide products, and thoughts on possible differences with web3 products.
Also making the distinction between consumer products (user = layman), vs protocol “products” (user = developer).

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Its definitely on the list of things to do ~ but I am only one person doing this on the side :slight_smile: Currently I am exploring the problem more, gaining greater understanding our own problems before looking at possible solutions. I foresee a bigger focus on such frameworks maybe later when we begin moving into the realm of trying to solve things.