ERC-1066: Ethereum Status Codes (ESC)

@schemar thanks for sharing your thoughts! Yeah, I fully agree with the spirit of what you’ve written, though I think a few parts of the spec may have been missed.

Aside

I have a WIP blog post(s) that I’m trying to wrap up clarifying a lot of what’s bellow, since people seem to jump to “oh this is a port of HTTP” (different problem space and design), and the way the EIPs folks asked for the text to be laid out is confusing (ie: as just a list of codes, rather than as a table).

I should also mention that the EIP itself is in the process of getting an overhaul (for clarity and adding a bunch of codes after gather feedback from a number of teams the past month). The aforementioned article is mostly to help clarify things for people looking to use the standard, but also to help collect thoughts for the upgrade.

Code Design

Would it help to specify a whole range as application specific successes or failures? E.g. use 0xB* and 0xC* for app specific failures and successes, respectively?

We’ve designed the codes is as a 2D grid, so it’s easy to parse out the category and reason, so it’s better for programmatic reasoning and developer experience (only have to memorize what 32 numbers mean, not 256). This is much more structured than HTTP, where you have random stuff in each range

that could potentially lead to incompatibility or at least confusion if there will be official meanings assigned to these codes later on. Or for some apps 0xAA could be a success while for others it is regarded a failure. […] prevents apps from requiring multiple return values (e.g. official code plus app specific code)

Indeed, and this is what we’re seeking to avoid in the spec! The app-specific range still adheres to the same reasons (the rows in the grid) as the rest of the spec. If used correctly, there should be no ambiguity about what each code means at a high level

For example, making 0xA0 mean “success” is not following the spec. 0xA0 must mean “application-specific failure”, 0xAF must mean “application-specific metadata”, and so on. This range exists only to say “this failure isn’t generic, and has something to do with the specific application’s special domain”. It’s also a way of mapping internal state-machine enums to codes. Consumers of the codes should be able to understand that this is a failure/success/metadata/etc from the lower nibble alone.

Another way (taking up less codes) could be reserving 0xA6 through 0xA9 for custom failures and 0xAA through 0xAD for custom success codes. The caller could still reliably identify what’s a success case and what’s a failure case.

Yeah, this is a good idea :smile: I’m not sure that it’ll work with the spec as it stands, since we want those reason codes to work universally (the flip side of a more structured approach). That said, we do need to make the spec flexible, but also parsable, so there’s a balance here :thinking:

Just a thought :thinking:

It’s good feedback — thank you!

I hope that some of the above clarified parts of spec that were unclear. I’ll noodle on the wider ranges idea :smile:

Thank you @expede :blush:
The spec is clear. As a recommendation I would put “reserved” in all unused table cells to nudge app developers away from defining custom codes in (currently) unused cells. Or make “Unspecified codes are not free for arbitrary use, but rather open for further specification.” much more prominent :slight_smile:

Right, I understand that and I really like that approach. However, some apps will need codes that are not covered by whatever the EIP specifies. And in that case the two options are:

1. multiple return values (additional custom return codes)
  2. an available range of codes to use

Maybe a second return value for codes in the 0xA* range is actually the cleaner solution :thinking:

How can the EIP guarantee that there will be a code for every enum value of the app? :thinking:

For now I’ll wait for the additional codes after the overhaul :+1:

Hello :wave: - great presentation on ERC-1066 at devcon, @expede!

I’d like to propose a group of status codes specifically tailored to token transfers in the 0x5* range (as a pretty significant proportion of transactions deal specifically in that department :smile:). 5 is unused so far, and looks a bit like $ so seems a natural fit to me. Here’s the proposal for that range:

code description
0x50 transfer failure
0x51 transfer success
0x52 insufficient balance
0x53 insufficient allowance
0x54 invalid sender
0x55 invalid receiver
0x56 invalid operator
0x57 invalid value
0x58 invalid data
0x59 invalid approval
0x5a invalid state
0x5b contract paused
0x5c funds locked
0x5d invalid issuance
0x5e invalid redemption
0x5f token meta or info

0x50 / 0x51 would be for generic success / failure, 0x52 & 0x53 for the most common failure modes in a standard ERC20 token, then 0x54 through 0x58 would signify invalid parameters in more restrictive permissioned tokens. 0x59 would show that the transfer lacks approval (above and beyond the standard allowance), and 0x5a would mean that the transfer would put the token into an impermissible state (for instance, maybe the token restricts the number of holders). 0x5b would signal that all transfers are frozen (maybe the token has been retired or migrated to a new contract) and 0x5c would mean that the particular tokens in question were frozen (e.g. there is a lock-up period for the tokens that is still in effect). 0x5d & 0x5e would be returned if the token transfer would invoke an invalid mint or burn operation, respectively, and 0x5f would signal metadata in the same vein as the rest of the specification.

3 Likes

Thanks for thinking through this work!

We’re just back from Prague and in SF for the final weeks of the Tachyon program we are in. @expede is especially slammed because she’s also speaking in New Orleans this week!

Let’s organize a community call – I’m proposing Nov 22nd at 8:30am PST and have filed an issue in our community repo – I suspect @thegostep & @AdamDossa have opinions that intersect with their security token work and may want to join the call.

2 Likes

Here’s what I propose (in response to our Telegram discussion). I appreciate the depth of error codes you covered here but think a minimal implementation might be the best first step. We can leave slots in the 0x5* range open until they exist or are needed on an organic, case by case basis.

Minimal Subset- checked on canSend()
0x50 transfer failure
0x51 transfer success
0x54 invalid sender
0x55 invalid receiver
0x56 invalid operator (transfer agent)
0x5b contract paused
0x5c funds locked (lockup period)
2nd tier- can be checked by front-end instead of in canSend()
3rd Tier- implementation yet to be seen
0x57 invalid value
0x58 invalid data
0x59 invalid approval
0x5a invalid state
0x5d invalid issuance
0x5e invalid redemption
0x5f token meta or info

*Note, I kept the status codes equal to your table above for easier referencing.

1 Like

Hey @0age :wave:

great presentation on ERC-1066 at devcon

Yey thanks :smile::tada:

5 is unused so far, and looks a bit like $ so seems a natural fit to me.

To me as well :+1: The 5 = $ is in fact the visual metaphor that I’m using in my working designs, too. They’re currently in a notebook and on sticky notes on a wall.

IMG_2904

but think a minimal implementation might be the best first step

I agree with @pakaplace here. We don’t want to prematurely impose codes, and empty ranges are a feature not a bug. Since these need to keep forward compatibility, a bit of restraint and investment in design early on will go a long way later. It’s only safe to add codes; removing them is problematic since contracts may depend on them.

I do think that there’s value in the codes that @0age proposed; I’d be surprised if these codes need to land in the final design. However, many aren’t specific to finance. For example, “invalid approval” belongs in the authorization column. Since we want consistency for both DX and (autonomous) code efficiency, some of these will need to be laid out differently.

I know that I mentioned this during the Devcon talk, but I truly apologize that ERC1066 v1.1 proposal isn’t up yet :bowing_woman: Our past few weeks (ie: Devcon and Tachyon) have been B-A-N-A-N-A-S, repeatedly flying intercontinentally, working on last-minute presentations, interviewing companies working with FISSION/ERC1066, possibly getting them on ETC, and so on.

Automerge is also currently broken on the EIPs repo :sob:, and we’re waiting for some changes like [restricted] placeholders (ie: @schemar’s suggestion) to be merged.

I’ll try to get a WIP Google Sheet up for everyone to see the current state. I’ll post to FEM when it’s live.

3 Likes

Ok, leaving an empty range for forward-compatibility sounds good to me. I’d say it makes the most sense to rearrange the codes a bit so that 1) the empty range is continuous, and 2) future extensions to the range, if they end up taking the form of the existing suggestions, are in a similar category as those codes at the end of the initial set. The 0x5f code is just keeping with the pattern for the rest of the top-level categories.

code description
0x50 transfer failure
0x51 transfer success
0x54 transfers halted (contract paused)
0x55 funds locked (lockup period)
0x56 invalid sender
0x57 invalid receiver
0x58 invalid operator (transfer agent)
0x59
0x5a
0x5b
0x5a
0x5b
0x5c
0x5d
0x5e
0x5f token meta or info

Looking forward to discussing further on the 22nd!

Great discussion here and on Telegram.

Some comments:

• “insufficient allowance” vs. “invalid operator” - these are somewhat similar concepts I think, the former more tied to the ERC20 approve / transferFrom and the latter more tied to the ERC777 operator semantics. Could possibly be wrapped up in a single code “invalid operator”.

• “funds locked” - I wonder if this could be made a bit more general. Locked funds could be due to vesting, seasoning periods (e.g. 12 month lock up for Reg. D) etc… There are also restrictions at the token level (e.g. maximum number of investors or maximum volume per period). I wonder if distinguishing these two cases (restricted due to sender properties, restricted due to token properties) might be useful?

I’ll def. be dialing into the community call on this - thanks @bmann for organising!

1 Like

Sharing an example permissioned ERC20 token impementation that utilizes these status codes: https://github.com/TPL-protocol/tpl-contracts/blob/master/contracts/examples/token/ERC20/TPLERC20Permissioned.sol

I also feel like 0x59 invalid balance (for representing cases where a minimum or maximum allowed balance would be exceeded) and 0x5a invalid state (for cases where the maximum number of total token holders would be exceeded or other similar errors) are common enough issues to warrant inclusion in the standard.

Looking forward to the discussion on the 4th!

Hello guys,

I would be very interested to participate with your group.
I am working on a similar issue with Mt Pelerin’s bridge protocol (https://github.com/MtPelerin/MtPelerin-protocol)

I’ve also already submitted an EIP 1592 on this very specific topic.

Best,

FISSION Codes (prev “ESC”) v1.0.0-beta

Hi everyone :wave:

The past few months have been filled with interviewing around two dozen companies and projects, soliciting general feedback form the community, and exploring alternative code layouts. We had a community call earlier this week, and it’s been great to see the interest both on and beyond Ethereum :tada:

One version that seemed promising at first was adding more structure: encoding the referent plus modal & temporal logics. This turned out to be too rigid, so we fell back to using the lowest bit to signify blocking/non-blocking, which is in the current proposal.

Fun Facts

• Now have more codes than HTTP
  • Nearly two dozen projects interviewed for research
  • Used by at at least three other ERCs (at least one more being announced by a partner soon)
  • Four FISSION presentations (so far)

Why the major version bump?

As mentioned above, we propose moving a few of the rows to make even numbers “blocking / others have control” and odds “unblocking / you have control”. If there is strong opinion that this should not be the case, it is easily undone.

What’s New?

Columns

0x1* Permission & CONTROL

This column already contained permissions. A prior working design included a column for “stoplight” style transitions. We realized that this is really a type of permission (ie: permission to proceed), and merged it into this column.

Some examples:

• 0x10 Disallowed or STOP
  • 0x11 Allowed or GO

0x3* Negotiation & GOVERNANCE

Negotiation has been expanded to include decision making and governance, which have lot of overlap.

Some examples:

• 0x30 Sender Disagreed or NAY
  • 0x31 Sender Agrees or YEA
  • 0x34 Quorum Not Reached

0x4* Availability & Time

Simply expanded to include new rows (see below)

Some examples:

• 0x42 Paused
  • 0x43 Queued
  • 0x48 Already Complete

Rows

0x*4 Lower Limit

Includes items like:

• 0x24 Underflow
  • 0x54 Insufficient Funds
  • 0xE4 Untrusted/Unsigned

0x*6 Upper Limit

Includes items like:

• 0x16 Revoked
  • 0x26 Overflow
  • 0x46 Expired

0x*8 Unnecessary or Duplicate

Includes items like:

• 0x28 Conflict or Duplicate Entry
  • 0x48 Duplicate Request / Already Complete
  • 0x58 Funds Not Required

Feedback?

We’d love any feedback that the community has before we make a PR against the EIPs repo :smile:

1 Like

We spoke about this on the call, but I wanted to put it in the thread for the broader community.

v1.0.0-beta Code v1.0.0-beta Description 0age’s Description
0x50 Transfer Failed transfer failure
0x51 Transfer successful transfer success
0x54 Insufficient funds insufficient balance
0x24 Below Ok Range insufficient allowance
0x42 Paused transfers halted (contract paused)
0x53 Hold or escrow funds locked (lockup period)
0x10 Disallowed invalid sender
0x10 Disallowed invalid receiver
0x10 Disallowed invalid operator (transfer agent)
0x5f Token or financial info token meta or info

The really challenging ones here are the ones that refer to a specific role in the flow (sender/receiver/operator). I really tried to get these to work with absolute and relative roles, but it doesn’t fit well into the current design philosophy. I’m open to options to get these to work, but here are two rough-but-workable solutions in the meantime:

1. Use application-specific ranges
  2. Have your protocol or other ERC include rider information:
returns (byte statusCode, address subject)
//...
return (hex"10", msg.sender) // specific operator not okay, taken programatically
return (hex"10", receiverAddress) // specific user not authed
return (hex"10", this) // this contract not authed

This pattern is applicable elsewhere, too

returns (byte statusCode, address subject)
//...

return (hex"26", tokenHolder) // holder has hit the max allowed balance for this token
1 Like

When a Solidity function returns a boolean, the returned data is padded to an even 32-byte boundary: 0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.

I presume there was some sort of engineering decision taken by the designers of the RPC to pad the data so drastically. (My guess is that it had something to do with performance. I can’t think of any other reason other than perhaps laziness). Does anyone know why that choice was made?

The reason I’m asking is that this proposal (which inserts a one-byte value at the start of the returned output) may (for all we know) step on that engineering decision. If this proposal takes hold, every previously 32-byte (or 32-byte aligned) return would be off by one byte at the start.

Does anyone know (or has anyone studied) the effect of this, if it becomes widely adopted, on overall system performance or efficiency? (Maybe it kicks something out of some hardware cache, or it causes Solidity compiler to generate horribly inefficient code – no-one knows and that’s the point.)

I recently started this discussion (Small suggested change to EIP 1), in the hopes that EIP authors would try to think about the effect of their proposal system-wide. I’m not sure this EIP does or doesn’t have system-wide effects, but it should be discussed.

Thoughts?

Hmm, you’re right to ask :thinking: I would be very surprised if this caused issues. It’s something that you can do right now, with no changes to the VM. For performance, EVM-native 32-byte numbers typically take more to emulate than single bytes, and thus should (in my WIP EVM implementation at least) be easy to emulate. My best guess about why that happens is that numbers on the stack will are padded to 32-bytes, but don’t know of any concrete reason.

@fubuloubu any ideas? Perhaps you could illuminate how Vyper behaves for bools?

@tjayrush @expede So the reason why it gets encoded as 0x0…1 (len=32) is because of the ABI encoding. Everything on the ABI uses a 32byte boundary - because of the 32byte “stack-word”. Going sub-32 byte gets really inefficient gas wise (in memory, gains are to be had when storing again).

ERC-1066 as I read it is layered on top of the ABI spec. So looking at ERC-1066 spec briefly the abi would return bytes1 which on the binary level is the same as 1 word \ bytes32. So if one wanted on could easily add 31 bytes more of status codes in for the same cost :wink:

3 Likes

Updated the EIP repo’s copy of ERC-1066 to include the v1.0.0 codes :tada:

Next steps:

• Update fission-suite/fission-codes JS & Solidity helper libraries
  • Min 3 reusable example contracts that use v1.0.0
  • Set EIP to Last Call
    • 2 week clock starts

Great work with this @expede and a great presentation on status codes at Devcon also.

It would be great if you could illustrate the revert-with-reason with an example also.
I’ve looked at the examples at https://github.com/Finhaven/EthereumStatusCodes/tree/master/contracts/examples and at the https://eips.ethereum.org/EIPS/eip-1066 page, but didn’t find a revert-with-reason example.

If one would revert-with-reason would you just revert with the status code or would you also be able to add an additional message?

1 Like

The Solidity & JS libs just hit v1.0.0-RC1 :muscle:

Ooh, the Finhaven lib is pretty out of date! The current repo has its own GitHub org: Fission · GitHub

On the current version of the helper lib, you have the ability to hand it an #erc-1444 localization directly for the require helpers. Both of these should work today:

// Hardcoded Message
requireOk(someCode, "something went wrong!");

// Using an ERC-1444 automated localization based on the specific code
requireOk(someCode, Localization(0xabcdef));

I’m actively working on getting the singleton language registry set up, which can then get hardcoded into the lib. The above would then look like:

// Fully automatic translated message
requireOk(someCode);

…and it would just work, message and all :unicorn::sparkles:

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Please set a discussion end date

reference https://eips.ethereum.org/EIPS/eip-1

This should be a full 14 days after the date which the discussion end date is added.