EIP1577 - Multiaddr support for ENS

provider-ring

Let’s get the party started, Provider ring.

Back in May, EIP1062 kicked off conversation about standardizing an ENS resolver field for resource hashes.

After some discussion, the group had consensus that:

• Any storage protocol should be supported
  • The protocol should be identifiable w/o additional context

The latest proposal for the ENS resolver is now EIP1577. It uses a new contenthash field, which supports multiaddr, and calls for deprecation of the content and multihash fields.

@decanus and @Arachnid have updated PublicResolver.sol, and I’d like to propose that the Ethereum providers plan to add support for this new EIP in the coming weeks.

Should be a trivial change, and we can maintain backwards compatibility for DApps using the content field (rare, to my knowledge) until EOY. DApps moving to IPFS or Swarm will be able to follow this standard from the start.

Thoughts @p0s @marcgarreau @bitpshr?

EIP-1062: Formalize IPFS hash into ENS(Ethereum Name Service) resolver

I opened issues on Status and Metamask repositories to get this integrated.

Greetings from the Swarm team.

We’ve been following the discussion on EIP-1062.

We already have an issue to track this since September and now that the discussion has converged into something more concrete and extensible we could proceed to implement the necessary changes on our side too.

Great work on this topic. :beers:

Awesome @justelad. We’ll probably prioritize it in our next sprint.

Thanks for creating that issue @decanus!

Thanks for raising this @rachelhamlin and for filing a related issue @decanus. We’re planning to tackle this in our next sprint as well.

hey, I have a few questions

1. is new publicresolver deployed only in mainnet? do we have it deployed in testnets (ropsten, rinkeby) ?
  2. how dapps developers can use this new contenthash field . i know two ens managers
    https://manager.ens.domains/
    https://resolver.portal.network/
    but both support only “old” content field, do we know who works on these two and if there are any plans to add contenthash field support?

It’s deployed on mainnet; I don’t believe we’ve updated the Ropsten or other test network resolvers.

We’ll add support to the new manager soon. It’ll be up to others to add support themselves; we’ll be reaching out to them to help with that.

Is there any known address that can be used to test a contenthash implementation?
I haven’t found any that use the new resolver yet.