#EIP0: Ethereum "Project Management" Governance

The Term “Project/Program Manager” brings us in the similar situation like “Governance”: we don’t like governance in its classic sense, but we can’t ignore problems that governace usually targets. Because that problems are real. In other words the term “Project/Program Manager” is ambigous: it is means both methods (we don’t like) and the problem area (we need to pay attention to) . I use the term “PM” to specify the problem area only.

I see problems in area of usual responsibility of Program- and Project Management. If you don’t see any, we can discuss about it. But if you see them, please don’t ignore it only because you don’t like existing managment methods.

1 Like

This is “Program Management” in my terms. Nobody does it in public currently but it is neccessary.
Look at all the EIPs: is there any publicly known person who knows all of them, who knows what the particular EIP is for and what is the status of its implementation? The same is about infrastructure projects around ethereum.

1 Like

as a PM with 20+ years of global corporate software and hardware experience, this is a debate that has been around since before Project Management was even a thing with capital letters.

Especially in software dev… many organizationally and prioritizationally skilled individuals can indeed manage their own work just fine and too, some can also coordinate a teams communication and progress. We used to joke that my job was to order pizza and throw celebration parties when we delivered on our goals.

Really though, the collection, aggregation, and distribution of holistic data around defining and measuring the varied goals of multiple groups toward a shared mission is a unique role that includes skillfully neutral presentation of that data, reframing discovery in multiple communication forms and channels to ensure accessibility to and comprehension of the information available by people working in different contexts…

Leadership of self and of people is always a good learning path for anyone, I won’t discourage that… project (and program) management is a different kind of skillset… it’s managing communication and information and relationships without authority… it’s more akin, I think, to community organizing.

Admittedly I am totally new to Blockchain and Ethereum however I am well-versed in project and program management AND community organizing… and I am learning by seeking out all these data streams, lurking and following you all :wink: and really really appreciating what I’m finding in these vital governance conversations and decision-making process developments.

Thanks for having this one!

5 Likes

I think that we are finding our distinction from traditional corporate practices. As a community and within each of our projects, we need to achieve the level of competency and coordination that certain for-profit orgs benefit from, while also not going against our values.

We need to achieve these so that our values can prevail.

4 Likes

Apologies. I did not mean to derail things.

I just know—from personal experience—that I am new to management and need to work on that. It might help others.

I should have been clearer :slight_smile:

i think ideally developers should be “knowledge workers” that either have sufficient competence to create a pull request (PR) to a codebase, or have verifier-level competence documented in a skills matrix to review/approve a PR. the project/program management/governance associated would be an automated push service built on polkadot or similar equivalent with emphasis on push notifications to mitigate risks, and for compliance and coordination purposes

I publish programming modules to github and npm and i build apps. I do all of this alone or with very few people. But those apps are quite powerful if I think what i can build quickly in a weekend :smiley: The reason is, that it only looks like i would work alone on first impression.
Oh, I’m not really exceptional nor am I a genius but quite average …and there are so many people with the same ability that i have i can’t even count them…

So if you look deeper and think about it, it becomes quite clear, that I actually work in a team with hundreds of people, …actually thousands and more, but i never talk to my colleagues - or at least rarely…
I am part of many different teams actually and they all consist of many people and those people are also part of many teams. …and it just works :slight_smile:

This is what moves the world forward every day. I don’t believe “project management” or “governance” does that unless you mean exactly the mechanisms that i think of when i write what i have just written above, but i find the term project management and governance inappropriate, because all stories that i can think of that are associated with those words have nothing to do with “my team of thousands of people”

Guys,
after some discussions, I’ve changed my mind about the whole domain of “Program/Project Management”.

As I already wrote above, the term “Project/Program Management” has two aspects:

• Management: usual authoritative management and governance methods. We don’t like that and we are trying to replace them with better approaches.
  • Construction: put different ethereum projects together, making it working properly.

AFAIK, the ethereum management philosophy encourages people to find tasks for themselves and suporting them if they make something useful. Therefore, the manager’s role is here to find developers and make their reputation and rewards depending from their work done. It is less management but more social netwoking.

Putting different parts in some ethereum project together requires broad integral knowledge of many projects in ethereum space, their features, drawbacks and differences. This is a new job profile in ethereum space. I would call it Ethereum Architect.

Ethereum Architect …

• knows almost all sub projects in ethereum space (and makes his knowledge public),
  • … incl. project’s features, performance, interoperability and future development.
  • proposes ethereum based solutions for external customer’s needs (it is his B2B consultant business).
  • creates a EIP’s in particular projects to improve their interoperability and UX, based on his experience in customer’s projects.
  • usually integrates existing parts together instead of creating new ones.
  • represents customer needs in technical ethereum discussions.

Ethereum Architect performs governance by signalling customer needs into ethereum community, project needs to each other,

Ethereum Architect is not a core Developer and not necessary focused on developing of some core project.

I would propose to create a Ring of Ethereum Architects instead of this “Project Management” topic.

Your thoughts?

5 Likes

@ethernian The model you propose here, where architects core role is to analyze and observe the community and then project a positive intention, a goal, is exactly how our biological neo-cortex works. The conscience-ness has no power to make the body do anything outright, it can only suggest that the body do something. Those suggestions are based on observations and attaching symbolic meaning to higher-order patterns.

This type of governance structure, one modeled on our own biological brain, is the ideal way to approach this community and project.

1 Like

I’m just re-reading this.

This is pretty much exactly how the Drupal ecosystem grew up. It had Core and many third party modules.

Composing those modules and knowing which were in good shape and which weren’t was a skill in and of itself.

And yes, I was one of the people who had his finger on the pulse and bridged tech and business/use cases to do pretty much exactly what you describe.

HOWEVER – it also became very insular. Welcoming broad collaboration with all of the decentralized web might be one way to get past this insularity.

Finally, the word “architect” is an existing word with very specific (and generally negative) connotations in tech companies / big enterprise.

The word “Consultant” would also not be incorrect, but it also has connotations.

You might just call this Product Leads or Product Management or Product Design. I called my local meetup Blockchain Product Developers to try and have a broader tent than just the word “Dev”.

In any case, interesting, I find your list of tasks / skills very interesting!

1 Like

@boris Finally, the word “architect” is an existing word with very specific (and generally negative) connotations in tech companies / big enterprise.

I am wondering to hear about any negative connotation of the term “Architect”. I see it positive.
Moreover I tried to avoid any hierarchical terms like “Manager”, “Lead” or “Chief”.

Lets ask the community:

What name is the best for this job?

• Ethereum Architect
  • Ethereum Product Lead
  • Ethereum Product Developer
0 voters

Architect can be joined with another term in order to re-cast it to better represent the role that you are trying to convey @Ethernian. Examples include “DevOps”, “Design Ops”, “UX Researcher”.

Perhaps “Ecosystem Architect”?

Community operations?

1 Like

Name of “Ethereum Architect” is already public. Therefore the change request should be publicly accepted.

Personally, I would not start to change the name before real work begins. If we’ll see the name doesn’t fit the real work and some poll will make it clear, then there is no problem to change it.

Good point! There were and still are doubts about the use of “Council” w/ Magicians’ gatherings. Still, it is important to learn about where people may have misunderstandings due to terminology.

An Enterprise Architect or Architecture Astronaut are both terms that you can Google to find negative descriptions.

Typically denotes people who talk a lot but haven’t been in the trenches actually building & shipping.

Sometimes also denotes over engineering or premature planning, rather than building small experiments to learn from.

Just wanted to share some things that are used in North America.

1 Like

we should surely revise it mid-term.
Nevertheless I have bad feeling to push a discussion about it right now because it should be a secondary topic not the only one. The work should go 1st.

Anyway, everybody can start a discussion about name change at any time.

What about Design Wizards?

Or Management Mages? ManaMages

I cast “Knowledge Transfer” to give your project +5 colloboration!

3 Likes

“Knowledge Transfer” is a good approach indeed, even it is only a partial aspect…
In this case we should think if there any difference to Ring Education.

I would discuss it in Prague.

Disagree with that:

This is not requirement of the leaders. Their goal is to organize productive and effective collaboration of people while product development process. They should decide which direction should developed project to move in. The only requirements are to be competent enough to see perspective and to set clear goals.