EIP-2537 (BLS12 precompile) discussion thread

I understand there are no champions for the eip, but the situation is really bad. The operations are already present in consensus-layer clients, running on every node.

Right now, all zk apps are using bn254, which has terrible security level - much less than 128 bits.

At some point it would be, or already is - possible to forge proofs for such protocols.

Developing zk apps takes longer when compared to ordinary contracts, which means the sooner this is deployed, the better. Apps, especially ones without ownership, would not be able to easily upgrade from bn.

1 Like

Oh, sad. It seems another chicken-and-egg problem for requesting a precompile!

It seems a pattern that whenever a precompile is proposed, there will be a lot of debate about whether there is likely to be a lot of usage. The chicken-and-egg nature is that without deploying the precompile, we can’t calculate the adoption, and without the adoption, it’s hard to argue for making it a precompile and thus lack of interest

Good news, we are propose to have a “progressive path towards precompiles”, where author proposes a precompile, but instead of requiring it to be deployed as precompile first, they deploy a precompile candidate which is a traditional smart contract (with higher gas cost per operation, though), and see if there is usage. Once the usage is validated, the data can be used to (1) justify the need for such precompile, and (2) serve as call pattern to help client implementor tune performance

See more Progressive precompiles via CREATE2 shadowing

I don’t think BLS pairings can be implemented in pure solidity. They’re very heavy.

1 Like

Has anyone evaluated the gas used if using solidity to impl BLS?

Just the G1 neg will use about 4956 gas, you can image the pairing will use how many gas.

I can see that the EIP needs a champion to take it through, hate to ask the obvious but do any of the original EIP authors intend to take on that role (courtesy ping to @shamatar @ralexstokes), failing that, could we have a long-standing community member take on that role (maybe @axic @matt @maxsam4), failing that, I would be happy to take on that role.

hi @QEDK ! I intend to push for inclusion of this EIP in the next hard fork after dencun

the core dev process hasn’t really focused on planning this next hard fork yet so there hasn’t been much activity as we all focus on the deneb/cancun EIPs

4 Likes

that’s great to hear, hopefully we can get this included in the fork after Dencun! Let me (or us at Avail) know if we can help speed up the process. :smile:

I just Implemented a KZG poly-commit to replace a Merkle Tree system though the interpolation, commitment, and proof generation were done in Rust, coming to write the verification contract now and just seeing this precompile has not been included yet :disappointed:

@shamatar can you remove the shanghai-candidate tag and add the prague-candidate tag?

I think we are at the point where this EIP will finally ship :slight_smile:

5 Likes

woohooo! any word on whether hash_to_curve will be included?
I see there’s an EIP for hash_to_curve for BN254 (EIP-3068: Precompile for BN256 HashToCurve Algorithms), but it seems to have gone stale.
Trying to use BN254 has proved pretty fruitless without hash_to_curve and I’d be happy to help make it happen

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s finally getting in!

Is there any reason not to add BLS12_GTADD, BLS12_GTMUL, and BLS12_GTMULTIEXP as well? Additionally, why not have both BLS12_PAIRING_RESULT which returns the actual pairing result and BLS12_PAIRING which checks that the pairing gives the identity. (Even SUB may be wise to add, but it’s non-essential.)

All of these are a rather trivial addition when it comes to implementation details, and this is the logical time to add them rather than waiting another 3 years or so. Personally, I want it, and it feels like the right decision to have actually full-blown support rather than just partial support for the curves.

4 Likes

@ralexstokes It’s great to see we might finally get this EIP in!

A few comments:

• it might be worth considering updating its status from “Stagnant” back to “Review”, as mentioned here. Only you or another author can do it as per EIP-1:

Stagnant - Any EIP in Draft or Review or Last Call if inactive for a period of 6 months or greater is moved to Stagnant. An EIP may be resurrected from this state by Authors or EIP Editors through moving it back to Draft or it’s earlier status. If not resurrected, a proposal may stay forever in this status.

• There is a PR currently open around it to correct gas costs to match the existing ones found in geth. It requires an author’s approval too. Current gas costs were set based on a Rust implementation, IIUC, but it seem the Go one is a bit slower.
  • I believe the EIP should explicitly say that the BLS12_MAP_FP_TO_G1 and BLS12_MAP_FP2_TO_G2 precompiles are clearing the cofactor (I know it’s specified in its own document, but having it in the main EIP would make it clearer).

Finally, given there’s both BLS12_MAP_FP_TO_G1 and BLS12_MAP_FP2_TO_G2 precompiles in this EIP, and I see it says:

Mapping function does NOT perform mapping of the byte string into field element (as it can be implemented in many different ways and can be efficiently performed in EVM), but only does field arithmetic to map field element into curve point.

It might be worth providing an example solidity hash_to_field as well to showcase it’s actually efficiently performed in EVM? Does anyone have one?
Because I’d expect most users to have to rely on hash_to_curve rather than just map_to_curve.

2 Likes

@CluEleSsUK @JayWhite2357 I agree these changes could improve the UX for the precompile and allow more applications. To summarise the suggestions:

Implementing hash_to_curve as specified in the RFC standard

• Currently only map_to_curve is supported, for most applications this would be used to implement hash_to_curve
  • Encourages use of the correct hashing technique, rather than the more obvious but less secure method to hash and multiply by the generator (not suitable in the random oracle model)
  • Standardises the hashing technique (and therefore BLS signatures) used in contracts
  • Should implement the standard suites

Introduce a new operation BLS12_PAIRING and change the existing operation with that name to BLS12_PAIRING_VERIFY, and add operations on the group GT: BLS12_GTADD, BLS12_GTMUL, BLS12_GTMULTIEXP

• Currently the pairing operation can only be used to verify if results in GT are equal, this is useul for BLS signatures
  • The new version of BLS12_PAIRING would return the element of GT
  • Supporting operations on GT would increase the applications of the precompile beyond signatures
  • This functionality is useful for identity based encryption (Boneh-Franklin scheme), attribute-based encryption, functional encryption
1 Like

Glad to see progress on this! +1 for including hash_to_curve and $\mathbb{G}_T$ operations.

2 Likes

You can use BN254 first, it is included in precompile. :sweat_smile:

example:

1 Like

Thank you very much @flyq, this weekend would be productive…

Your code is lit btw :saluting_face:

1 Like

Hi everyone, I saw @ralexstokes tweet on the hash to curve matter a few weeks ago and started an implementation here: GitHub - ethyla/bls12-381-hash-to-curve

Hash to field is already working nicely and passes all tests from the rfc. Costs currently 30.000 - 45.000 gas so could be called “efficient”.

Two issues remain. I can’t test the hash to curve implementation as foundry doesn’t implement the precompiles yet and I found no simple way to setup a local node with them activated to test using hardhat.
Also I can’t clear the cofactor yet for the g2 implementation, as the scalar I need to multiply by is way to big for the precompile. I started looking into the Budroni-Pintore optimization, but I fear it will be very expensive gas wise.

3 Likes

EIP 2537 is defined to clear a cofactor for field-to-curve mappings

1 Like

Hi all, there was some request above for exposing the BLS12-381 pairing product, and after some discussion with core devs and others, I’m currently leaning towards leaving them out.

Please take a look here with my summary/rationale and please post here or there if I’m missing something: Update EIP-2537: rename PAIRING to PAIRING_CHECK; introduce PAIRING_PRODUCT precomiple by zhenfeizhang · Pull Request #8309 · ethereum/EIPs · GitHub